Activities and projects
1. Publication of research findings
Research findings are continually publicized through various publications, seminars, workshops as well as databases and other information on the ISJFC website.
2. Collection, research, and publication of materials
Historical materials collected through field survey are compiled and catalogued with the cooperation of the material owners. Compilation and analysis of ISJFC’s own collection of materials is also in progress.
3. Research seminars
Since 1983, public seminars have been held to share research findings that have been verified and validated by Institute members. External researchers are also invite to report on their research to enhance research level.
4. Joint projects with other institutions
ISJFC actively engages in collaborative research with various institutions in different regions and research fields.
- National Research Institute of Fisheries Science, Japan Fisheries Research and Education Agency
- The Society for Mingu of Japan
- Federation of Five Universities
- Institute of Folklore Studies Seijo University
- The Memorial Institute of Dr.Orikuchi, Kokugakuin University
- Institute for the Study of Japanese Folk Culture, Kanagawa University
- Community Research Institute of Aichi University
- Anthropological Institute, Nanzan University
5. Academic exchange
ISJFC conducts academic exchange with the following overseas research institutions to enhance mutual understanding and cooperation in folk culture studies.
- Institute of Oceanic Culture, National Taiwan Ocean University,Taiwan
- China Marine Culture Research Center, Zhejiang Ocean University, China
- Center of Japanese Studies University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Institute of Korean Cultural Heritage, Chung-Ang University, South Korea
- Institution for Marine and Island Cultures (MIC), Mokpo National University,
- Youngnam Culture Institute, Kyungpook National University, South Korea
- Institute for Maritime Culture, Pukyong National University, South Korea
- Institute of Oceanic Culture, Ocean University of China, China
- Ocean Culture and Economic Research Center, Shanghai Ocean University, China
6. Research Center for Nonwritten Cultural Materials
The Center was attached to the Institute to carry on the 21st Century COE Program “ Systematization of Nonwritten Cultural Materials for the Study of Human Society. ” It focuses on the forms in which human activities are recorded other than the written language. It has a broad geographical scope, covering non-Asian cultures as well as East Asian traditions.
7. International Center for Folk Culture Studies
International Center for Folk Culture Studies is a MEXT-accredited joint use / research center affiliated to ISJFC. In the age of globalization, ICFCS seeks the coexistence of diverse cultures, aiming to establish a methodology for research and analysis of everyday life and culture of the ordinary people.